PARTNERING BMW DEALERSHIPS AND SCHOOLS FOR SUCCESS!
The Adopt A School program provides an avenue for BMW dealerships to connect on a local level with schools in their community (high schools and colleges) and young adults looking to start a career in the automotive industry and BMW.
Why consider adopt a school
BMW Dealerships are faced with a shortage of Technicians. Baby boomers are retiring and there is increased competition for the best young people when it comes to skilled trade careers.
Partner with your local schools that offer automotive technology programs. While it can take time to develop a partnership, it gives you the opportunity to nurture young technicians who can grow with you.
Did You Know
There are students right now who are taking automotive training classes at your local high school or college.
- Schools want to provide well-trained entry-level technicians, but they need your help and input to be successful and meet your employment needs. Many businesses hire students while they are still in school.
- Done right, this “work-based learning” reinforces classroom instruction and increases students’ hands-on skills, making graduates more productive from the start.
- By supporting your local schools, you help solve the technician shortage and increase retention. Everyone wins! The amount of time you invest in Adopt A School depends on you
Connect with a school
- Find ASE accredited automobile, collision, and truck programs close to you by visiting this link.
- Each listing includes contact information.
- You can also reach out to your regional ASE Education Foundation field manager who will be happy to help you make connections with local schools.
- See the below list to identify your regional representative.
- Reach out to the program’s instructor and schedule a meeting, perhaps an in-person visit to the school.
- Discuss how you can help the program, students, and industry by your involvement. Be sure to review your own goals and what you could gain from the program as well.
Join the program advisory committee.
Members are drawn from local businesses like yours. Committees typically meet twice a year to review the training program and provide guidance and feedback.
This is critical to ensure that students graduate with the knowledge and skills you are looking for when hiring a young technician.
Donate to the program | That can be in the form of supplies, t-shirts, parts, tools, equipment or even entire vehicles. You can also fund scholarships for high school students to continue their education.
Participate in program activities | These can vary from simple to involved, so it is easy to get started and grow your involvement over time.
Here are some ideas to consider:
- Speak at a career day event
- Give shop tours to students, educators and parents
- Provide Job shadowing opportunities for students
- Hire students in co-op, intern or apprentice programs
- Create a click event thru (Am I a dealer) visit x (Am I a school) visit x (Am I a student)
Fill your pipeline
Adopt a school program fosters community participation (we need support of schools, teacher and dealers to assist students).
By working in your community and with your local schools you will be helping foster careers in the automotive industry and more import your dealership by introducing young adults to rewarding careers.
The young people you help can be your future employees, not only in the service bays, but in different departments throughout your Dealership.
Ready to adopt a school?
Visit ASE Eductation
For more information on Adopt a School, sign up, and access detailed plans and ideas go to: ASEeducationFound ation. org/adoptaschool
Access Free Tests
Click HERE to have access to FREE practice tests and study guides to help you prepare for the certification!
The following ASE contacts by state as well as the BMW STEP Recruiting Team are here to help and answer any questions you may have.
BMW STEP Recruiting Team Contact: